Why ChiswickChat? - 5 good reasons

Local news, community chat, events, meetings, social. Missing pets.

Why ChiswickChat? - 5 good reasons

Postby ccadmin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 am

Welcome to ChiswickChat.co.uk.

Chiswick Chat is an independent, not-for-profit, resident-focused, lightly-moderated, agendaless internet chat board and forum for Chiswickians and visitors. It is run by a local Chiswickian, and the website is hosted in London. The board has no specific funding or sponsorship, and is paid-for personally by the aforementioned individual who loves Chiswick.

As and when the chat forum grows in numbers it may require additional funding, however at no point will corporate sponsorship be a funding option for the board in the future. The independence of this chat forum / message board is to be considered as of paramount importance.

Here's a Mini Manifesto. Currently there is no "code of conduct", however posts will be moderated according to the below.

1. Users will not be banned. Because this forum has no sponsorship, no links with business, and no agenda to push, freedom of speech and freedom of thought will be upheld at all times. The forum includes anti-spam measures; nuisance / spam posters will be the exception to this. Of course, any users whose words break the law will be removed immediately and IP addresses blocked.

2. On-Topic discussion only. Meaningless chat is welcome, however it is to be restricted to "The Kitchen Sink", which is a subforum of Chiswick Chat. What constitutes "on-topic"? Please read the topic summaries on the main subforums. A liberal interpretation can be assumed, but this should be common sense. Where posts in an existing thread go off-topic, users may be politely referred to this manifesto. Posts will not be removed except in extreme cases.

3. Open discussion for residents. Not for profit. Moderated with sensitivity and impartiality. Auto registration is open to all, however zero-tolerance policy for spammers and nuisance user accounts.

4. Emphasis on personality, not business. No single agenda to push, except the following: to benefit local residents and facilitate a positive, outward-looking community.

5. Promoting meaningful connections. Reflecting the social and political makeup of Chiswickians. We believe community forums for residents are best when they are lightly moderated, and where there exist no limits on what may be discussed (within the bounds of UK law). However this is no good if discussions lack focus and spammers take over; moderation exists to keep topical focus only. In such a manner as does justice to the Chiswickian mind.

These five principles constitute the manifesto of ChiswickChat.co.uk.

Enjoy!
ccadmin
Site Admin

Re: Why ChiswickChat? - 5 good reasons

Postby Captain Darling » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi, Mat.

Any idea how I can get rid of the text which appears when I import an image?

I'm referring to the text which can be seen under the MARA logo which I've added to the beginning of the "Middlesex Anti Racist Action" thread. I imported the logo by first of all copying it from the MARA Facebook page to my laptop and then transferring it to ChiswickChat... However, I cannot seem to get rid of the text which appears below it (i.e. maraLOGO31495_1491593055375_1400473058_31319295_1161233_n.jpg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 3 times).

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi, Mat.

Any thoughts about the above question?

I've also just realised that the logo doesn't show at all unless I'm logged in - yet the long code that goes with it still appears (i.e. maraLOGO31495_1491593055375_1400473058_31319295_1161233_n.jpg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 3 times).

Can this be rectified, please?
Captain Darling

Postby Cheerfulchappy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 am

I want to post a message on Chiswick Chat but couldn't find how to do it - in error found thisWhy Chiswick Chat page but not sure it's the correct one for my post.

My post is to urge all Chiswick residents to sign the petition below. It is in opposition to the bullying of a Lead Councillor (representing Isleworth) whose has overruled all 9 local Chiswick Councillors by imposing an unwanted CPZ onto the residents of Grove Park who have 93% rejected having a CPZ. The petition is

http://petitions.hounslow.gov.uk/StopCPZinW4/

just click on this link and sign it. Deadline date is 13 April 2013 so please sign it now.
Cheerfulchappy

Return to Chiswick Chat