What makes a successful forum?

Local news, community chat, events, meetings, social. Missing pets.

Re: What makes a successful forum?

Postby twerp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm

i am surprised there isn`t more abuse of the name thing given how easy it is to change.
loads of the half wits over there have my e mail address but only once has anyone posted in my name.
It could lend itself to interesting areas though as some of the writers over there imitate each other`s writing style.And swopping identities has always interested me.Talented Mr Ripley etc

I am a fan of Henry Root and Joe Orton.
Sometimes i feel like having my own Edna Welthorpe.
A crotchety old bag who complains about everthing.
An alter ego to my charming and reasonable good self. :lol:
twerp

Postby mat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:12 pm

Captain Darling wrote:
On another matter, may I suggest you create a new section to cover the issues of politics, society and current affairs.

This I shall do.

Captain Darling wrote:
each person could if they wish select the hue which correctly identifies their own allegiance. (For example, it's not by accident that I'm posting in red).

Well that would be amusing. I think I may try to make friends with people before declaring my political allegiance...!

I like the suggestions.

The only problem is that I don't know people well enough on CW4 to ask them to post here.

I tried to get that Bobby, an amiably grumpy chap - someone whose grumpiness I aspire to - to give his thoughts on my starting a new forum, but I didn't hear back from him...

I'm not asking other people to do my dirty work for me, but ... would you do my dirty work for me?
mat

Postby twerp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Mat
you plonker
i am spartacus!
twerp

Postby mat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:14 pm

twerp wrote:Mat
you plonker
i am spartacus!

As soon as I posted that last post, I did quite a strange eye-sideways thing and thought of coming back to post. "UNLESS, that is, the aforementioned person *IS* on here already..."

I fail when it comes to identifying people online. Haha.
mat

Postby Captain Darling » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:17 am

Thanks for taking on my idea, Mat.

From the perspective of the forum's future success, the new section will not be a 'make or break' initiative, but it may provide one of its building blocks.

As to mentioning this forum to other CW4 users, I have made a reference to it recently - but I wouldn't like to overdo it (as I had a chat with one of their mods recently, and rather think they've been teetering on the brink of sending me into oblivion). I have occasionally "pushed the boundaries", you see.

Anyway, will think up something for the politics section and if no one wants to disagree with my views then fine - I'll enjoy a monopoly.
Captain Darling

Postby dreamweaver » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Back in the day I used to post on a couple of successful forums of a, ahem, adult nature but what made them so successful was that there was a variety of oddballs and eccentrics posting on a variety of subjects. The rest of the sites were made up of advertising and other industry related matters. What both did have was a dross section not dissimilar to your kitchen sink which could only be viewed by logged on members who had previously contributed a number of posts to other sections on the board. This was an area where posts or parts of posts that had devolved into slanging matches, trading insults and their ilk were moved to.

I disagree that a small local board needs separate areas for discussing issues like politics. I think it should all be discussed on the main board, a bit of melting pot. In fact I don't think one of the local boards (brentford tw8) has ever fully recovered from the politicks shenanigans of the rantings of some local councillors.

If you'd like your board to get more members then maybe have a free to advertise section for local sole traders, like electricians, etc - one free ad weekly/monthly/yearly/whatever. Your board, you set the criteria.

Forums are a platform for a variety of nutcases and I suppose they are the modern day equivalent for a soap box at Hyde Park but can be great discussion areas too. You will need to step way from some of the activities of other local forums otherwise the nonsense on one will just spill over t'other. And they'll all just mesh, gestaltic-like.

These sites, I used to post on, were moderated not only to deter vicious attacks but also to prevent the 'for sale' type adverts appearing on the discussion site. I know advertising has become more subtle these days but has also become more prevalent regardless of the platform, a difficult area, imo.

It's your site, Mat, so it's up to you but really don't want to see yet another local site denigrate into a bit of tit for tat name calling - unless you want a flaming site, that is.
dreamweaver

Postby mat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 pm

dreamweaver wrote:I know advertising has become more subtle these days but has also become more prevalent regardless of the platform, a difficult area, imo.

It's your site, Mat, so it's up to you but really don't want to see yet another local site denigrate into a bit of tit for tat name calling - unless you want a flaming site, that is.

Advertising has become more subtle, and I have given some thought to this. By having a forum where topics are moderated properly according to the category (i.e. subforum) they are posted in, this means it's logically possible to allow subtle advertising where there is also a human element alongside, and completely remove without warning if it's highly unsubtle and off-topic.

For example, a US company randomly posts links to their website in a section dedicated to residents' discussions - that is going to be removed. A US company participates in discussions about Chiswick and then subtly turns a conversation around to advertise themselves; if they have shown themselves to be human (i.e. responding to private messages, etc.) then I will ask them to stay on topic. If they ignore it, then - well in the name of neatness and tidiness, their posts will probably be removed.

As for the second point quoted above, I am a liberal at heart (I mean this as a social statement not a political one) and although deep down I'm not interested in a site that becomes toxic or denigrates into flame wars, on the other hand I am most happy to allow a forum to become what it becomes on its own without interfering too much.

I may consider making the Kitchen Sink readable only to members. (Keeping the fact of its existence public.) This may make it a little more enticing for the net curtain twitchers and may draw them in. If they only register to post negatively in this part of the forum, I don't care. If, however, a by-product of them registering to the site to post negativity is that they also look in the main subforum and respond sensibly then that's a bonus.

Either way, nothing lost, nothing gained.

If the main traffic of the board becomes the Kitchen Sink, then at least it's separated from the more useful / positive section. And people who genuinely want to ask questions don't have to be drawn-in so easily to the more negative side.

Similarly with the politics category. If people want to use it to write negatively, then so be it. Personally I am politically active and of a positive (not saccharin) bent.

My main point is that a forum that exists for residents must not try to skew the tone of discussion one way or the other. If residents / forum members are a bunch of intelligent, sarcastic people - fine. If they are a bit nastier - fine. All I care about is neatness and topicality.

I hope this isn't ridiculously naive of me. Oh well - there it is!
mat

Postby twerp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:10 pm

"Back in the day I used to post on a couple of successful forums of a, ahem, adult nature but what made them so successful was that there was a variety of oddballs and eccentrics posting on a variety of subjects"

Go on Dreamweaver give us a clue.
How naughty were they?
:twisted:
twerp

Postby twerp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 pm

"I may consider making the Kitchen Sink readable only to members. (Keeping the fact of its existence public.) This may make it a little more enticing for the net curtain twitchers and may draw them in."

Good plan.A sure way to attract more NCT is to make them feel there is some sordid discusson goin on behind closed doors.
Happy to gossip about this on on other Forums.Get the Kitchen Sink a bit of a dirty name! :lol:
twerp

Postby dreamweaver » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Twerp, tbh they weren't that naughty!

Most of it was just a lot of banter.

And pendants correcting grammatical errors.

The most naughtiest posters were of the flagrant variety attempting to lure in punters with unabashed display of foolish whoriness.

And then were discussions of urg! a la Terry Pratchett.

And frank discourse about clients from some.

It was a dicussion forum not a legs akimbo display by silly bints about to conquest the domains of whoredom.
dreamweaver

PreviousNext

Return to Chiswick Chat