What makes a successful forum?

Local news, community chat, events, meetings, social. Missing pets.

What makes a successful forum?

Postby Pixie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:57 pm

This seems to have flatlined from the start.

No-one seems to post here, not even as a slagging off platform for other exsisting forums serving the
microcosmic area of W4. Why?

Mmmm, a ponderous question you may ask, once you spark a few brain cells into action.

Firstly you need people to post. Then you need a few characters.

Then you need to watch them all with eyes like a hawk just in case one of them goes a bit too far!

But as a start for an information point? That's secondary surely, once people start posting?
Pixie

Re: What makes a successful forum?

Postby mat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm sure you are right.

I've been a little unsure as to whether / how to promote the forum at all. I saw a gap in the 'forum' market for Chiswick residents, and have seen in other areas how it helps people connect with other locals, the local beat, and more - hence setting it up. I kind of almost thought, when setting it up, that I should just see if it floats or sinks.

You are right though, one needs a strategy with these things...

I don't want to poach forum posters from other places, but it does strike me that there's a huge majority of people who use CW4 and in my opinion it's just not that great. (Often unavailable, difficult to search, no sub-categories for posts, etc.)

I need recruiters!

Maybe I should say loads of ridiculously controversial things and wait for people to join up and argue with me ... hah!
mat

Postby Captain Darling » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 pm

How to attract more people to the forum?

It's a bit of a conundrum.

Problem is CW4 is already well established. True, its software is a bit dated but it's reasonably easy to navigate and has a large following.

In contrast, CCF is over-moderated and is dominated by a small clique of crashing bores. Its owners prefer it that way, because it means they can keep a firm grip on who may or may not join.

As of 5:25pm today, CW4 had 135 visitors and CCF only twenty. This suits the latter, because they are for the most part a tightly-knit cabal of stuffy curtain twitchers.

If, as you have indicated, you want this forum to be open and favourable to free speech, then most of those on CCF are not going to be interested.

One possible way to attract the punters would be to encourage an all-out bun fight on here between CW4 wits and CCF drones, but that's easier said than done.

Another possibility would be to create a fun new section where characters like "twerp" and "Mary Canary" can indulge themselves. There is nothing the Chiswick middle classes like more than the quintessentially English humour of those whose standard banter revolves around mildly taboo subjects like stockings & fishnets.

The problem is that Twerp in particular sees his mission on west London fora as being one of entertaining others: so he first needs to be persuaded that his brand of mad cap humour has actually got an audience - and until you get that he may think he's wasting his time posting on this board. It's a real catch-22.

I'll email twerp and let him know about this discussion.
Captain Darling

Postby twerp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:08 pm

The reason W4 is succesful is because there is conflict.All drama is based on conflict.
The reason Pigeon Farm is an abysmal failure is because they do not allow anything naughty or controversial.
So they attract bland half wits and exclude anyone devilish.

Mat`s idea of having outrageous opinions is sound.

I might start a Forum and invite all the nutters,ranters,drunkards and eccentrics that have been banned from other places.
That would guarantee entertainment.
There would be a Code of Misconduct.
Swearing,smut and any outlandish opinion would be welcomed.
Gossip is the life blood of a small community.It needs to be encouraged.

I will start the ball rolling.

That Pixie is a silly old moo who spouts a load of rubbish..

(only joking!) :lol:
twerp

Postby Pixie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:13 pm

dear twerp,

don't get sexist with me, boy.

only joking!

thing is I'm good with facts. check them out!
Pixie

Postby twerp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm

what facts?

i didnt understand any of that stuff about Anna Kunst
(careful how you say that!)
isnt she a Chiswick local?

are you still On The Farm or have you had enough of pigeon shit?

you will never make a spy..
Mmmm is a dead giveaway!
8-)
twerp

Postby Pixie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:41 pm

dearheart

stop trying to be obtuse.

the main problem with other chiswick related forums/fora is that they try to belittle female contributors
Pixie

Postby twerp » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:05 pm

i wonder what the record is for having a barney with someone you have never met over several Forums!
(i will not use the word Fora-it is a Feminist invention-and too much like Flora)

i am going down the pub now maybe have a game of dominos..

how long before the Ignore button is introduced?

:lol:
twerp

Postby Captain Darling » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 pm

So, mat, you see how quickly twerp livens things up?

The problem is it's only temporary.

You need to encourage him and the rest of the lovable crackpots to make at least a daily visit to CC if you wish it to be a success.

On another matter, may I suggest you create a new section to cover the issues of politics, society and current affairs.

I would like to begin a new thread about "political correctness" and why I think it's a good thing.

Problem is, where do I put it? Really don't think the Kitchen Sink is appropriate.

A distinctive politics section might well help the forum to progress a little. Given that you have facilitated colour fonts, each person could if they wish select the hue which correctly identifies their own allegiance. (For example, it's not by accident that I'm posting in red).

However, none of this will happen until there are more punters.

Finally, ever thought of designing a simple A5 leaflet advertising the forum? You don't need to run off more than a couple of hundred - just leave them in pubs, bars and on noticeboards. Can't do any harm. But make sure they're punchy and carry a catchy logo.
Captain Darling

it is even easier....

Postby lilith » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 pm

pixie,
impersonating someone is even easier on W4/nnet.
you do NOT NEED someone's email adress (something i have mentioned a few times on there but it seems like folks did not get it...).

example : to post displaying as 'pixie' on their forum, i can log in to my account and change display name to pixie

then i can change display name to twerp and post something else

i can even pm someone and it will come to them as pixie and my email adress with which i registered at nnet to follow

and maybe i get caught by nnet or maybe i don't

and then of course, it is free to set up a newemail adress at hotmail or yahoo or gmail in a couple of minutes, lets say 'pixieinwonderland'get automatically registered at nnet (if you ip adress is not on their watch/suspended/banned list) and post away changing display to whatever takes your fancy

so, no need to worry about people knowing your email adress as they DO NOT NEED IT to impersonate you

and keep that in mind when you you think you know who might have been posting as you and you think it must be from a select number of people who know you email adress at nnet

tis all true - you couldn't make it up !
lilith

Next

Return to Chiswick Chat