Middlesex Anti Racist Action

A place to show your true colours, discuss local or national politics, events, and the like. You must log in to post.

Re: Middlesex Anti Racist Action

Postby Captain Darling » Fri May 25, 2012 11:42 am

MORE FROM THE EDL THICKIES

EDL members are forever popping up on the 'Talk Page' of Wikipedia's article about the EDL. They continually moan that the Wikipedia article is biased against their organisation, yet they are unable to string even a few words together to argue their case without a proliferation of spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. Here's a typical example of something recently posted by an EDL cheerleader:

You obviously know far more about wikipedia policy as I have never researched and have no real wish to, however doesn't change the fact that if dozens of individuels write their views in a national newspaper it's down as fact on wikipedia, yet if thousands write write on internet sites and take a different view, its unreliable. Seems their is an agenda and that is to stiffle debate on racism. It suits the powers that be to trash EDL. If you look at the heading of the article it states English Defence League--A British Far right organisation. I thought the point of calling it the ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE was it's an ENGLISH organisation, they cant even get that right — Preceding unsigned comment added by 90.219.252.102 (talk) 00:22, 13 April 2012 (UTC)

Using the pseudonym of 'Multiculturalist', we at Middlesex Anti Racist Action posted this reply:

Sorry but your remarks contain a number of spelling and grammatical errors. For a start, "individuels" should be spelt "individuals". Further more, at the end of your first sentence you failed to use an apostrophe in the word "its". In addition, based upon the context in which you have used it at the beginning of your second sentence, "their" should be spelt "there" . Also, "stiffle" is in fact spelt "stifle"; and "cant" should have an apostrophe after the n (i.e. can't). To top it all, you have failed to end your final sentence with a full stop. All of my Muslim friends know these things, so why don't you? It is simply hilarious that you people claim to be upholding English culture when you do not even have a rudimentary grasp of the English language. Multiculturalist (talk) 20:09, 13 May 2012 (UTC)
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:22 pm

ALAS, MORE FROM COUNCILLOR DENNEHY.

He's been spouting off again (despite being expelled from the Conservative Party over his racist remarks). MARA has recently had this letter published in the Ealing Gazette in response to his ramblings...

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/ealing-n ... -31046603/

Our letter was followed up by a missive from Lib Dem group leader Cllr Gary Macolm, who was supportive of our remarks.

What is interesting is that Tory Cllr Colm Costello accused Labour councillors of "playing the race card" on his blog because they dared to disagree with Cllr Dennehy's comments. Yet his party make no effort to expel him too.

Never mind, within two years the good people of Hobbayne Ward will have an opportunity to send Cllr Costello into a well-deserved early retirement.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:41 pm

TORY COUNCILLOR COLM COSTELLO & ANTI-IRISH PREJUDICE.

I've just had a debate with the above mentioned Ealing councillor on his blog. It covers the issue of alleged racism against Irish people (of which he is one) as well as Southall, immigration and local schools. For anyone who's interested, here's the link...

http://wwwcolmcostello.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... mment-form

Cllr Wall has since informed me that his remark was taken out of context, and that the particular council meeting at which it was made had already descended into mirth.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm

THIS THREAD

It's been getting quite a lot of hits (1,260 at the latest count). Not sure what has caused the interest but some of the recent views may be due to the following article, which has been causing some controversy among contributors to one of the Neighbour Net forums...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42&start=10
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm

MARY MACLEOD

I once met the Conservative MP for Brentford & Isleworth at one of her street stalls. She is basically a decent sort who belongs firmly on the inclusive Cameron wing of her party. For that reason it is disappointing that her website lumps crime and immigration together in the same section. Immigrants are not criminals, they are often highly productive members of society. Still, we probably shouldn't blame Ms Macleod for this error: the imprint on her website says it is published by her agent John Davies, and no one can accuse him of being enlightened.
Last edited by Captain Darling on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 pm

UGANDAN ASIAN REFUGEES: 40 YEARS ON

On the fortieth anniversary of the arrival of the first Ugandan Asian refugees, MARA takes a look back at the welcome they received in the Hounslow borough. Most would surely agree that this wave of immigration has brought major benefits for Britain, for the Ugandan Asians almost invariably thrived and prospered - often creating thousands of jobs in the process. However, not everyone welcomed the new arrivals. This report appeared on the front page of an edition of the Middlesex Chronicle from that time...

“Send all Ugandans packing” call.

A demand “to send all Ugandans in this country packing” came this week in a letter from a Hounslow Tory ward which says the Government’s handling of the issue is losing the support of the members.

The “kick them out” letter, from the Hounslow West ward of the Hounslow, Feltham and Heston Constituency Conservative Association, was written as two more expelled families arrived in the borough to stay with relatives.

Signed by ward secretary Mr Derek State, the letter has been sent to Mr Enoch Powell, the Prime Minister, the Tory Central Office, and Heston and Isleworth MP, Mr Barney Hayhoe.

Mr State says approaches to Central Office and the Government on the Ugandan Asians issue were being ignored. So was the feeling of the general public and the rank and file of the Tory Party.

“We in this ward, with nearly a quarter of our electorate immigrants, deplore the spineless attitude being adopted by Her Majesty’s Government,” he added.

“It is our belief that all immigration must cease, and that retaliatory action be taken against Uganda. No aid – diplomatic relations broken off, and all Ugandans in this country be sent packing.

“We in this ward are fast losing support of our members. They are desperate when they see their community slowly being taken over by foreigners.”

The ward letter said the borough’s educational facilities were being stretched to the limit, jeopardising the education of local children.

Mr Inder Singh Uppal, Hounslow’s Community Relations Officer, has a copy of the letter, and was placing it as a matter of urgency before the meeting last night of the Hounslow Community Relations Council Executive Committee. He told the Chronicle he was “very concerned” at the views the ward had expressed.

The new families, Mr. and Mrs. Gosel and Mrs. Dhakkar and their five children are being visited in their new homes by Mr. Uppal this week.

“I do not know if they plan to make Hounslow their permanent home, but they will be staying with their relatives for a while until they get sorted out,” said Mr. Uppal, who received advanced warning of the families’ arrival from the Ugandan Resettlement Board earlier this week.

“The only reason we were told of their arrival in advance was because they knew where they wanted to stay”, said Mr. Uppal.

“We do not expect to get notice of many other arrivals until they are in the country.” He added.

Mr. Uppal is visiting the two families to advise them on schooling and how best to use the facilities of the Hounslow borough for immigrants.
Last edited by Captain Darling on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 pm

MORE RESPECT ANTI-SEMITISM

It seems that Nazis are welcome in the Respect Party...

http://hurryupharry.org/2012/10/26/resp ... -naz-kahn/

So then, a senior officer in George Galloway's party accuses teachers of "brainwashing children" and thinks Hitler wasn't a bad bloke. Unbelievable. Isn't it time we reclassified Respect as the fascist party they really are?
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 am

NOOR INAYAT KHAN - THE SPY PRINCESS

The story of a Muslim woman who gave her life in the fight against anti-semitism...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/no ... ent-killed

It took a lot of campaigning by a large number of people to get her statue commissioned. Not before time!
Last edited by Captain Darling on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:04 am

(Message deleted as link no longer works).
Last edited by Captain Darling on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Captain Darling

Postby Captain Darling » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:39 am

UGANDAN ASIANS UPDATE

To mark the fortieth anniversary of the arrival of the Ugandan Asian refugees to these shores, MPs recently debated their contribution to British society. The turnout for this at the House of Commons was disappointing, but one of those who did attend was Hounslow Labour MP Seema Malholtra. This is the text of her speech...

"I would like to pay tribute to my Honourable friend the member for Cambridgeshire North West for securing this debate. I think on this fortieth anniversary of the arrival of those Asians who were expelled from Uganda in Britain it is a wonderful occasion to be able to pay tribute to those who left so much and who have now contributed so much to Britain and who suffered so much on the way.

I want to just add a few words to those moving speeches that have been given by so many honourable members in this house, the member for Leicester East, the member for Slough, the member for Wolverhampton South West and others. I think what it has shown just through the range of contributions and through the range of places across the country is that the voice of the Ugandan Asians that have been here has spread across the country and we have seen that contribution be made in areas far and wide as well as constituencies like mine in Feltham & Heston.

I was born in Britain and I am a British Asian and whilst my family did not directly come from East Africa I do have members of my extended family who did come, and I know that they hid so well the suffering and also the sacrifice that they had to make from the next generation. They hid it so much that I really never knew until I was much older about what had happened and about how the community had supported itself and stayed strong together in times of great hardship on their arrival.

I would like to mention someone who was very dear to me who died a year ago in fact just before my election, Mr Jugpal, who also founded the Vedic Cultural Society that plays a contribution to our community, brings together people through faith and cultural activities and really is a true example to all. Not only did those who came resettle their families and children, they sometimes started new jobs in areas that they really had had no experience in at all simply to make ends meet and to do what is in that amazing tradition that parents under so much stress often do which is to create a better life for the next generation and to ensure that those who come after do not have the same suffering that they did but also go on to play a huge part in the country going forward.

I just want to end with this, to say how incredibly proud I am of Britain. I think in terms of our recent British history that this is marked out as a time of great compassion and a time of great welcome to those from abroad, a time when we have seen the diverse fabric of Britain at its very best in absorbing those within the nation and to make Britain really the diverse nation that it is. We have seen the value of that just for example this year in winning the Olympics where you had Indians that were taking part in the opening and closing ceremonies, that showed actually that we have managed as Asians in Britain to become a strong part of the fabric of this country and actually be sharing and be maintaining links with our own separate histories in a way that makes Britain even stronger in the world.

So I just want to close by thanking again the Honourable member for Cambridgeshire North West for securing this debate and to pay tribute to all of those in my community who through businesses, through schools and through their community contributions are playing such a big part in our public life in Britain. Thank you."

(The debate took place in the House of Commons on December 6).
Captain Darling

PreviousNext

Return to Politics, Society, Current Affairs