Political Correctness

A place to show your true colours, discuss local or national politics, events, and the like. You must log in to post.

Political Correctness

Postby Captain Darling » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Never trust anyone who uses that term.

Polly Toynbee correctly argued that “the phrase is an empty right-wing smear designed only to elevate its user”, adding "The phrase Political Correctness was born as a coded cover for all who still want to say Paki, spastic or queer, all those who still want to pick on anyone not like them, playground bullies who never grew up."

If PC means anything, it is about valuing diversity and treating people with respect. Everyone likes to be treated with courtesy, including the Daily Mail types who sneer whenever politeness is afforded to minorities yet demand it for themselves.

As things stand, political correctness is the battle cry of those who want their own sensitivities respected but would deny the same treatment to others. It is time for the left to redefine this phrase and embrace it on our own terms.
Last edited by Captain Darling on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Darling

Re: Political Correctness

Postby mat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Political Correctness strikes me as something that judges someone by their language but fails to notice when there are more subtle, underlying tones that can be far more offensive than words themselves.

If you define PC merely as a form of social diplomacy, then I heartily approve of it.

Problem is, in the same way that "Health and Safety" has become a bit of a joke phrase which applies mostly to people who have no common sense in the workplace, "Political Correctness" has become the same joke that plays on the idea of people who are intent on taking offence about something - anything.

My other problem with the PC concept is that it usually focuses its gaze on mainstream issues like racism, homophobia, sexism, ageism. It ignores the more subtle and less offensive stereotypes. Example: my partner's dad is a retired footballer, and she is in an academic job. Someone last week made a joke to her without knowing her background; it was about how stupid all footballers are, and how they lack intelligence. Of course she neither retaliated nor mentioned the fact her dad was a footballer. My point is that this is the kind of comment that slips through the net of Political Correctness, but it can still be offensive.

I probably have a lot more to say on this subject...
mat

Re: Political Correctness

Postby twerp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 pm

" Example: my partner's dad is a retired footballer"
anyone we might have heard of?

hope he didnt play for the pond life at Chelsea :lol:

in every football club there is one player who either reads a serious newspaper or has an `0`level..
he is normally nicknamed `the professor`or is deemed gay..

don`t get me on Terrace humour..
i love it-

especialy when my team-QPR plays the Sheepshaggers
(ie Swansea Cardiff and both Bristols..also Swindon if your Geography is suspect!)
twerp

Return to Politics, Society, Current Affairs