Theobroma Chocolate - OH NO! (1 Star)

Know a local secret? Share it with us here - secrets are more fun that way!

Theobroma Chocolate - OH NO! (1 Star)

Postby mat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:48 pm

So I wanted to post a little review of this place.

Although I only moved to Chiswick in April, I have been visiting Theobroma Chocolate for a number of years now (I used to live in W12) and have long adored the place. I consider myself a real chocolate connoisseur and visited regularly for the amazing hot chocolate offerings they do.

In fact, I considered myself a very loyal customer ... until ...

I was entertaining a guest from Miami a few weeks ago. Picked her up from the airport in the morning, drove straight back to Chiswick and went out for brunch at High Road House, promising a visit to my favourite chocolate shop EVER. In fact I had mentioned it many months in advanced, so excited was I. (I'm a bit of an enthusiast when it comes to the gorgeous local things Chiswick has to offer.)

We arrive at Theobroma Chocolate on Turnham Green Terrace. When you walk in, the smell hits you, it's quite intoxicating, and as you can imagine, my tourist friend thought everything looked so beautiful and, in her wide-eyed way, pulled her mobile phone out to take a few photos.

We continued to browse and she took one or two more photos. (Note - one or two. On her iPhone.) We were ready to purchase a few items when a man from behind the counter snapped, "excuse me, did anyone say you could take photos?"

My guest apologised and I proffered that she was just a tourist and wanted to take some photos because it all looks so wonderful. Naturally my guest had put her phone away by this point.

I would have been merely taken aback, but not particularly offended, if he had left it so. I tried to continue to browse, but instead he responded, "well how do I know that?" then continued by aggressively saying "please put your camera away in this shop. You can't just take photos like that without permission, how do I know you won't use those photos?"

This was clearly a ridiculous insinuation as my guest was just snapping some pics with her iPhone, but I responded very calmly and politely, "she has put her phone away now".

Unfortunately he then proceeded to continue by saying that people could be stealing his ideas and that nobody had asked his permission.

Well, I must say, I was extremely embarrassed in front of my visitor and I didn't know how to play it, but I absolutely did not want to make a scene in front of a visitor I hadn't seen for many years. Sadly the damage was already done by the man, though.

Normally they have a polite foreign lady serving at the counter. If this was the chocolatier who spoke to us on this occasion then there's a very good reason he shouldn't be front of house.

After he finished his irrational tirade, we were both so shocked that I signalled silently to her towards the door and we walked out without buying anything or saying anything further.

I was apologetic to my visitor when we walked down Turnham Green Terrace, but all she could say was "wow". (Repeatedly, actually!) Later we discussed how that's the kind of thing that you could simply not imagine happening in the US.

I treat my friends and colleagues with great respect and it was quite shocking for me to take a guest whom I hadn't seen for years to my favourite place, to be treated in that way.

I vowed I shall never go in there again from the man's horrid behaviour. There are plenty of other fabulous chocolate shops for me to try out in London, and although this one is near, and their products are wonderful, I shall never return as a matter of principle and will tell my friends to do the same.
mat

Re: Theobroma Chocolate - OH NO! (1 Star)

Postby Captain Darling » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am

"Unfortunately he then proceeded to continue by saying that people could be stealing his ideas..."

Let's hope they don't go stealing his (lack of) manners.

And you're right - in the States a shopkeeper would never behave like that, because over there service is everything.

"I shall never return as a matter of principle and will tell my friends to do the same."

A good idea - most businesses prosper or fail by word of mouth.
Captain Darling

Return to Restaurants, Rants, Raves, Reviews